Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Monday, November 24, 2014

When You Just Don't Wanna

Do you ever think about how much of life is made up of doing things that we don't want to do? Like getting up in the morning. Or going to bed at a decent time. Or exercising. Or not eating all of your children's Halloween candy. Or folding laundry.

 Believe it or not (and I say this to myself as much as I say it t anyone else), doing things we don't want to do is actually good for us. It keeps things in perspective. It helps us to be strong. It puts us in a position to help others. It grounds us. It makes us appreciate those fleeting moments of ease and rest. It prepares us for the challenges of life.

I didn't want to get up before the sun this morning, but I knew I needed to. And I'm so glad I was able to make sure the girls got safely to school with a real lunch in their bags. (And their hair brushed.)

I didn't want to run this morning, but I knew I needed to. And I'm so glad I got a chance to get out and do something for myself before focusing on other people all day.

I didn't want to go on three errands with Spencer and Alexa in tow this morning, but I knew I needed to. And I'm so glad I got those three things done at the beginning of this crazy week.

I didn't want to sweep up Spencer's Cheez-It mess this afternoon, but I knew I needed to. And I'm so glad I didn't have to step on cracker crumbs for the whole rest of the day.

I didn't want to sit here and blog tonight when I have a hundred other things to do to get ready for Thanksgiving, but I knew I needed to. To remind myself that just because I don't want to do something, that doesn't mean I shouldn't. And one day I will be glad I took the time to record something about a normal day in the life of a Mom With Small Children.

A mom who doesn't want to do things. But does them anyway.

And now, I don't want to go tackle the formidable pile of laundry awaiting me in the other room. But I know I need to, so I'll do it anyway.



And tomorrow, I'll be so glad I did.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to stop reading this adorably funny blog that my amazing and beautiful wife writes, but I knew I needed to. And I'm still deciding if I am glad I stopped to actually get some work done at work today. Thanks for making my days at work so much better with these cute and insightful posts. Love ya the most slugger!

    ReplyDelete