We are contemplating putting our Christmas tree up this weekend. What that means is that we felt ambitious and dragged it into the house tonight, but after moving furniture around and dealing with a couple hours of Standard Family Chaos after what was already a really long day for both Craig and I, we ran out of steam. So, the tree remains on the floor in pieces, and we are hoping that we can tackle the job tomorrow with a little more Christmas spirit than what we were able to muster tonight.
I have to know: Does Christmas decorating get any funner and/or easier as children get older? Every Christmas I think I understand more and more why my dad was always in kind of a rotten mood when it came to pulling out all the decorations and putting up the tree. I feel like this should be a wonderful, magical time. And it probably is...for the kids, anyway. (At least I hope it is, despite my grumbling.) Me? I'm usually simmering a little bit inside because the whole process completely stresses me out. (This should be made even more interesting this year because I have a feeling that our little Spencernado is going to be haphazardly removing ornaments from the bottom half of the tree for 30 days or more.)
Do all parents just have to fake it every year? Please tell me it gets better.
In the meantime, I am going to reminisce as I look at these photos from last year and soak up all of the cuteness I see while blissfully forgetting the stress that I was undoubtedly feeling at the time.
Okay, that's better. Thank goodness Santa brought me selective memory for Christmas last year. I use it almost every day.
Should I not tell you that it actually gets worse every year? And those of us who unintentionally spaced their children out so much will not even get a reprieve between children and grandchildren. Because don't believe for an instant that I would be decorating my house if it weren't for them. But Lincoln, in particular, has been so excited to put the tree up that it is almost all he talks about. That makes one of us.
ReplyDelete