Remember the good ol' days when the family camera only came out for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, and the occasional school assembly? I would be stating the obvious if I said that times have changed, but man, haven't they really, really changed?
Craig and I were looking at some baby pictures of Julia last night, from a time--eight long years ago--when a digital camera was more of a luxury than a necessity. (Read: we could not afford one.) While reminiscing, we mused about the blurry, red-eyed photos and how those ancient pictures were taken from a camera that did not allow us to a) view the picture before we "developed" it (remember that word?) and and b) delete any undesirable photos that we didn't want to spend the money to print. Now, we can literally take hundreds of pictures in a single day if we want to, all the while picking and printing only the best ones. (Even though we hardly ever print them. I mean, seriously; I haven't put pictures into an album since 2008. Thank goodness for this blog.)
What a blessing that the days of using the camera only for selective holidays and special events are long past. Nowadays, it is not uncommon for me to take pictures almost daily, from sleeping babies, to beautiful skies, to big fat messes. And, even though I often (okay, always) take that convenience for granted, it feels good to be reminded that it really is a luxury to photograph just about whatever I want, whenever I want, and pick only the images that I really want to remember...with the added benefit of writing about them to give them context and meaning. It's selective memory in action, I tell you. What a wonderful thing. (Thanks again, blog.)
Is there any recent technology that still amazes you?
{Sleepy Savanna at 3 months}
{Arizona Sunset in October}
{Big fat mess, courtesy of my little pack rat, Alexa}
No comments:
Post a Comment