Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Fun Run" is (Still) Oxymoronic

This is the second year that the girls have participated in their school's biggest fundraiser, the "Fun Run," where the students get pledges for the number of laps around the field that they run, which total a distance of about 2 miles. Though I still contend that "fun" and "run" do not belong together in the same phrase, the girls have really enjoyed themselves and actually both excelled this year; I only say actually because it surprises me a little that any of my offspring can find pleasure in--and excel at--a sport that I believe should be reserved for being chased.

This year the weather was a little cooler than last, which I think helped everyone enjoy the run more in general...including me, of course. Thankfully the school decided to do the run on a minimum day, which I consider a genius move; tired, sweaty kids got to go home relatively soon after a 36-lap run instead of having to trudge back to class and fight off exhaustion and/or nausea for the rest of the day.

Some of this year's highlights:


First-graders at the ready


When did this long-legged creature emerge?? Sakes alive.


 If anyone can grin during the entirety of a two-mile run, it's this girl.


showing off all her laps marked on her shirt


Third-graders getting ready


stopping by for a quick hug


with the new BFF


All finished with two extra laps under her belt

All distaste for running aside, I sure as heck am proud of these little girls for going the distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment