Today is trash day. For some reason, for the last two weeks, our trash can has not gotten emptied. Craig and I have been pretty befuddled/irritated about the whole thing, to say the least. Thinking that maybe it wasn't getting picked up because he had been placing the trash can too close to the recycling can, (though this didn't seem likely) Craig opted to put just the trash out this morning so that there was no possible interference to be used as an excuse not to pick it up.
After a trip to the store this morning, I checked the can to make sure it had gotten emptied. It hadn't. I checked the neighbor's can: empty. I checked the other neighbor's can: also empty. Grrr.
I called Craig at work to let him know that the ploy hadn't worked and we grumbled a little about this weird inconvenience that keeps happening. I mean, we're paying for service, right? What reason could they possibly have to not be picking the dumb trash up? Craig said he'd call the city offices to figure out what was going on, and he gave me a call back a few minutes later.
Apparently we have never paid for trash service since we moved into the house. You know, more than a year ago.
Whoops.
It seems that the entire time we've lived here, (until 3 weeks ago, anyway) we have put our trash can out every Tuesday, and every Tuesday it has gotten emptied. For free. But, thanks to some new technology in the trash trucks, the drivers now know whose accounts are not up to date, and those folks no longer get their trash taken. Folks like us.
Phoenix's trash service is bundled into the water bill. Goodyear's isn't. And now we know.
Well, thanks, city of Goodyear for 14 months of trash service gratis. And for the grand ol' laugh we had when we realized we were up in arms about not getting a service that we had never paid for.
I'm still chuckling.
No comments:
Post a Comment