So, in the past I have been a little (okay, a lot) snarky about the girls' annual school fundraiser called the Fun Run. (What can I say? I'm a little snarky about everything.) Lest you think otherwise, it isn't because I begrudge the school any fundraising money, but rather because I have always hated running and found it ironic that the words "fun" and "run" should be paired together in any capacity.
Alas, as a wannabe runner as of the beginning of this year, I find that I must keep the snarky comments to myself as I report on the momentous Fun Run of 2014. I still can't say that I find running "fun," per se, given how darn hard it can be, but I sure do feel that it's worth doing after all. And knowing how hard it is makes me prouder than ever of what Savanna accomplished this year. (Only Vanna this time...poor J was sick with a mystery fever and missed school all week.) Running two miles straight at the drop of a hat without having to work up to it is pretty commendable indeed. (I'll just keep to myself how long it took me to work up to 2 miles...)
The school had to move the Run inside instead of holding it out in the sweltering October heat (that's right, I just used the words "sweltering" and "October" together...if you've ever lived here you know what I mean) because the fields were flooded from all the rain we had gotten the week before. Sweet mercy, it was a welcome change for runners and spectators alike. (I just hope they learn from this year and start having it inside every year!)
Here are the highlights:
Savanna and her good friend, L. Just leave it to Savanna
to smile and laugh for the entirety of a 2 mile run.
Vanna's biggest Fannas
"Um, seriously...you woke me up from my nap for this?"
SUCCESS!
I love my little grinning runner. I am seriously considering hiring her as my coach...maybe she can teach me to smile while running, too.
2 Miles?? For rizzeals??? Dang. That girl rocks even more than I already knew. And smiling? I won't show you what I look like at the end of a 2 mile run. Mostly, cuz I usually can't even run that far.
ReplyDelete