You fit so well 'twixt Juliet & handsome Romeo.
I look for you in signs & ads that feature things quite dumb,
Ever reassured to see your pointy toes and curvy bum.
(Though In-N-Out refuses your sweet curvature and grace,
I'm sure your presence would improve the burgers of that place.)
And for a girl like me whose writing borders on atrocious,
Your lasting style gives print like mine a much improved prognosis.
So ampersand, dear ampersand, please try to never leave me
For grace & style & perfect shape is naught but "and" without thee.
*Perhaps you are a smarty boombalarty, and already knew that "ampersand" is the awesome name for this symbol with which I have had a love affair for many years...my own delighted discovery of its name, however, is much more recent, hence my excitement. My awe with ampersand dates back to the early 90s, when I would sit with pen and paper trying over and over to perfect this curvy wonder in my own handwriting. Little did I know what a cool name accompanies its awesome shape. Now that I am acquainted with its melodious title, I am pretty sure the baby's middle name will be Ampersand. If nothing else, I might have to at least name an ampersandwich after it...

you rock!
ReplyDeleteKnowing the name of & is almost as exciting as knowing that E.B. White is a man, not a woman!
ReplyDelete