Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Special Report: Instant Messaging: Not so Instant!

So, Craig set me up with Yahoo Instant Messaging so that I can bug him all day long at work. (It's true...I can even tell when I'm interrupting him from doing some enormous, multi-faceted task because he gives me one-word answers to my questions. Very much like talking on the phone, actually.) Anyway, the other day we were Instant Messaging each other in the same room (true story; we adore each other so much that we are in constant contact, even if it is via the Internet) and I was sending him Instant Messages, and I found out...they're not instant after all! After I would hit enter to send the message, it took at least a full 3-4 seconds before I heard the little "doo-doo-doo" coming from his laptop to indicate that my message had been received. I mean, 3-4 seconds? Seriously?! You might as well call it "Delayed Messaging" or "Be There When it Gets There Messaging." We live in a fast-paced world, people! I don't have 3-4seconds to wait until Craig gets my message, and then another 3-4 seconds for me to get the message back from him that says he loves me too! Seriously, I have other things to do...the last thing I want is to find out that Instant Messaging is only as instant as oatmeal, for instance. (Really, people, 30 seconds to cook my oatmeal in the microwave. You call that Instant?) Apparently some of our new technology isn't all it's cracked up to be. Until I can get a response at the literal push of a button, I will remain much disheartened and disappointed in the so-called "technological advances" of our day.

1 comment: