Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Friday, March 20, 2009

Peas are gross. Savanna likes peas. Savanna is gross.

We are still trying to figure out where Savanna has come from. For some reason, this little girl that has plopped from the heavens into our rejoicing arms, loves to eat things that the remainder of the world's children (or at least America's kids) find unappealing. I am not just referring to the non-food items that she commonly enjoys, such as contact solution straight from the bottle, sidewalk chalk, Chapstick, or any form of body/facial lotion (whether scented or not). I am talking about actual food items that little kids aren't supposed to like; yes, I refer to the v-word: vegetables. Case in point: Crabby Savanna wanted a snack. I retrieved for her a delicious peanut butter and chocolate chip granola bar. After one bite, she abandoned the granola bar on the floor and went in search for something even more tasty. What did she find? A can of peas. "Peas, mommy, peas...mmmm, peas, mommy. Open? Open, mommy?" (I'm not sure which of those "peas" was please, and which was actually peas, but you get the point.) She is now on her third bowl of nasty canned peas; she literally eats them by the handful, as voraciously as any other hungry child might eat something that actually tastes good, i.e., candy, fruit snacks, cookies, etc. In the meantime, Julia has found and devoured a small bag of Mother's cookies from the pantry, and I have commandeered and consumed the neglected granola bar. WE are clearly related. Savanna is not. She also enjoys plain avocados, broccoli, soy beans, green beans, and carrots.

Basically, we can't figure out this veggie-gene that she seems to have inherited. She didn't get her taste for the healthy from me, and she certainly didn't get it from her dad (who gags at the smell of plain Cheerios and puts syrup on his plate before adding the first pancake). Perhaps Grandma Lorene secretly slipped something into the gene pool that can explain this strange phenomenon. Maybe she's a creature from a different planet altogether.

Whatever the case may be, we will continue to love and care for our little vegetable-eater if if she were our own.

1 comment:

  1. Further evidence of her extra-terrestrialality - she's likes LaVerl. Weird. Maybe he smells of brussel sprouts.

    ReplyDelete