I was attempting to multi-task last week, in the form of eating breakfast, reading a history chapter and looking over a recipe for dinner all at once (while simultaneously watching my own kids and my friend's two little girls out of the corner of my eye). I was trying to stand still and quiet enough so that I didn't warrant any unwanted attention towards me, but for some reason, it was at this exact moment that little Savanna decided she needed some mommy snuggles. Now, to be perfectly candid, I really have a hard time when I'm trying to get something (or somethings) done, and the kids interrupt me, even if it is for something as snuggly
and yummy as Savanna. In this moment, though, for some reason, it didn't bug me. I don't know if it was her early morning adorableness in her little nightgown, or her tiny persistence to "get me, mommy!" or that the fact she was particularly squeezy and cuddly that day, but right then, I had a tiny moment of understanding and blessed clarity: she's growing, and I can't do anything about it. Julia is steadily approaching the age of unholdableness, and Savanna will be there, too, before I even realize what's happening. For one morning, I had the intuition to savor her snuggles and to squeeze her right back just as tightly and wonderfully as she was squeezing
me. My soggy cereal and perpetually undone homework were, for a suspended moment in time, not my priority, and I got to love on Savanna recklessly and blissfully, trying with all my might to store her tiny loveliness in my heart to come back to for the rest of my life.
I love her. I think my eyes are watering just a little bit. Don't get me wrong, my kids are big fat brats. But, yours? they're so sweet!!
ReplyDelete