I know that Phoenix is the last place most people would want to be during the stifling hot months of summer. But dang if our desert sunsets aren't some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen. Thank goodness for a degree of compensatory beauty in our parched lives.
And speaking of lovely, nothing is more wonderful in these parts than the sight and smell of impending rain. Once that crazy monsoon wind starts blowing, though, you better hope you are close to home, or you'll be accosted with hot wind and pelted with roaring rain faster than you can spell Phoenix backwards. (Harder than it sounds, right?)
Spencer and I went for a walk last week to take advantage of some unexpected cooler weather and within ten minutes I was rushing for home. We were a couple houses away when the rain started and I ridiculously mistook a fast-moving dust cloud for regular storm clouds and ended up with dirt in my hair, eyes, and mouth in a matter of a few seconds. Not my favorite experience of all time, but I will say that it was a sight to behold. Next time I think I'll just behold it from the front window instead.
More favorite sights: pink summer skies flanked by towering pine trees in Flagstaff.
Thanks for the wonder, Arizona.
No comments:
Post a Comment