Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Friday, November 16, 2012

Transroomation

Okay, peeps, I apologize in advance for the plethora of pictures that you are about to experience, but there is just no way around it. This is the post in which Savanna's "room" becomes an actual bedroom. It's pretty exciting stuff. (I'm just happy that we remembered to take pictures throughout most the project, since we are generally pretty terrible about that.)

Our house has four bedrooms, but since we are using one of them as an office, we  decided to convert a strange loft-type room upstairs (that we have no use for otherwise) into an additional bedroom for Savanna, to eventually be shared with Alexa once we have another baby. And that is exactly what "we" (read: Craig) have been working on since we moved in at the beginning of August.

The room already had walls and a space for a door, but also had four troublesome open windows that needed to be closed up, (with framing, drywall, cardboard filler, more drywall, lots of layers of joint compound, texture, and paint)  in order to make it a bedroom...along with an actual door. It's been a long process, with a steady break for just about the whole month of September, but we (ahem, Craig) have been back in business for the last few weeks and now Savanna has real walls, paint, and an actual bed to sleep in. (This poor middle child of ours seems to always be the one to get the shaft.)

 Anyway, here is the process and the proof.


starting the framing 


beginnings of drywall 


filling up the space with cardboard for noise reduction


the view from the hallway that goes 
nowhere during the filler/drywall part.
(more on this awesome hallway later)


Craig risking life and limb to fill in the 
windows on the staircase side of the room


more drywall 


framing the door


getting lots of help from these lovely assistants


a real door


texturizing before painting


Dusty Daddy


starting to paint
(this part usually goes really quickly with help from the kids)


bunk bed wall


one million miles of tape 


two million miles of tape


going for the plaid effect


checkers, anyone?


lots and lots more taping


pure fanciness


getting the bunk bed together


more bunk bed fun


Voila! Bedroom in Wonderland.
Craig is amazing. As usual.


(But I don't know how he would have done 
it without his talented sub-contractor)

Next on the agenda is framing in a closet so that Savanna doesn't have to keep going across the house to get her clothes out of Julia's. That one is in the works right now and hopefully will be operable pretty soon.

5 comments:

  1. I just wiped some drool off of Amelia's mouth. Sharing a room with a big brother and little sister just isn't all she thought it'd be!! It looks amazing and I bet she's loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! Looking at that paint job makes me wish I had the patience to do that. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I barrow your husband for a little chat with mine on how to become a handy man? I would love, love, love to turn our loft into a bedroom! It seriously looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! That paint job is pretty amazing! Good job Craig!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... you've passed us up on home renovation already! wow... drywall. wow... on a huge ladder. wow...

    (and i still have paprika paint!)

    ReplyDelete