Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Friday, November 23, 2012

Better Than That Macy's Garbage

The day before Thanksgiving, I wondered aloud to my dear husband why we never watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I remembered enjoying it as a kid and thought maybe the girls would like it. So, yesterday, we tried it out, and I got my answer.

Turns out the reason we never watch it is because it's as Boring as All Get-Out.

Boringer, in fact, than watching grass grow, paint dry, etc., etc. Maybe if it were just cool floats, there would at least be a little bit of a higher level of enjoyment. But alas, the floats all appear to be boring throw-backs from years past, the parade is continually interrupted by strange performances from people I've never heard of, and the whole thing really just feels like one giant commercial for NBC... interrupted, of course, by actual commercials. Perhaps to see it live would be a different experience altogether, but, for my part, I am ready to swear it off for good. Even watching it over the kitchen island whilst I was occupied with 25 other things, I still felt myself becoming bored to tears on many more than one occasion. Call me a grinch, but even I have some standards regarding the way I waste my time in front of the television.

On that note, here are some pictures of the girls on the day of their school's Vocabulary Parade, which conveniently debuted on Halloween. (Way to go, MP Elementary, for being politically correct enough to shun real costumes on Halloween while being cool enough to make up another reason for the kids to dress up.)

The second graders were tasked with creating a t-shirt that illustrated a compound word, while the kindergartners had the more mundane task of decorating a headband illustrating a high use word, like a day of the week or a month of the year. Julia picked "jellybean," (which is fitting given her "Julie-Bean" nickname) and Vanna picked "January." She decorated the crown herself, but she was feeling a little left out in the t-shirt department, so I did a shirt for her to go with her themed headband.

I'm telling you guys, I wish you could have been there, because this parade was waaaay more entertaining than that atrocity we subjected ourselves to yesterday. So, while you turkey continues to digest, I invite you to feast your eyes on stars of the third annual MPE Vocabulary Parade.



showing off her fancy tee


ever made a snowman with a candy corn 
for a nose and nerds for a mouth?
Maybe it's time you tried...


cute shirt for a cute girl


Parade in Progress


stopping for an autograph


the lovely onlookers


Vanna with her class


(at this point, she was holding the bottom
of the shirt up because the cotton balls
had started to fall off. Oops.)

P.S. Hope your Thanksgiving was resplendent with yummy food and lovely company. I know mine was!

1 comment:

  1. You musta missed the high school cheerleaders! chear captains and co captians from all over the country to perform all together at once!!! (my favorite part was when the not so tiny girl tried to get up on top of the other tiny girls and fell... but i am a little bad that way!)

    ReplyDelete