Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Monday, August 8, 2011

Mommy: The Universal Word

Since all my girls seem to say "dada" months before its "mama" counterpart, I've always been really impatient for them to form those two sweet syllables and utter them in my general direction. Alexa, of course, mastered the full "Daddy" way before she even gave "Mommy" the old college try, so I was oh-so-pleased when my name finally graced her sweet little lips. As a doting mommy, I couldn't ask for more.

Sadly, mere weeks into her new Mommy-cabulary, I am slowly going insane. Apparently hearing the word mommy 500 times a day has caused it to lose a little of its initial, innocent magic. I am learning now that "Mommy" doesn't even just mean Mommy anymore. It actually means every single that she can't say (and even doubles with some of the things she can say.) Here are just a few examples:

Mommy= I'm tired.

Mommy= I'm hungry.

Mommy= I'm poopy.

Mommy= Yes.

Mommy= No.

Mommy= I don't know.

Mommy= I am standing on the dining room table and can't get down.

Mommy= I want more food. No I don't. Yes I do.

Mommy= Daddy.

Mommy= I want to get on the counter.

Mommy= I want to get off the counter.

Mommy= I don't have any idea what I want.

After so much time and energy spent on trying to get Little Sweetie to pay me the ultimate compliment by addressing me directly, I finally got what I wanted.

And now I'll be changing my name.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when Emma did that! I got so tired of hearing my name! :)

    I tell my kids at least a couple times a week that my name is no longer MOMMY so don't call me that anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bennett is 13 months and still doesn't say mama!! of course, after reading this, I'm not going to be spending hours on verbal drills tomorrow... He does always wake up in the morning saying 'dada' into the monitor :) how nice- 'honey, your baby is calling for you...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Dada is just easier to say cause all 3 of my kids said that (well Dado in my case) before saying mom... When ever ANY of the girl's drive me crazy with the mom, mom, mom every 2 minutes I tell them my name is a bad word and there not allowed to say it lol

    Just think in 20 + years when there on there own were going to be wishing they were still that little and they were still pushing us close to being insane!

    ReplyDelete