Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

When Monsons and Science Collide

On what was probably the last field trip that I'll be able to attend for a pretty long time, I got to go with Julia and her second grade class to the Arizona Science Center last month. The best part was that her teacher somehow neglected to put any other children in our group, so it was just J and I spending the whole day together. It was more of a Mommy-daughter date than chaperoning a field trip, which I'll take any old day, but more especially when I'm 7 months pregnant and struggling to keep up with just one kid that happens to be mine.


J started off on this spinny thing that makes me dizzy just to look at,


then showed off her physical prowess trying to lift her body weight 6 feet off the ground.


Despite the fact that her teacher also failed to tell me where and when lunch was, we 
figured it out when we saw the sea of yellow shirts heading outside to eat and play.


This informative poster was on the back of the stall in the bathroom,
and though we never figured out the answer, we sure were intrigued...


Julia got to type a message on this old-fashioned contraption called a "type writer" and typed away 
like a trouper, despite the absence of basic necessities like the "enter" and "backspace" keys.


see what a bang-up job she did? and it only took about 10 minutes...




At the end of the day, she got to experiment with a camera that distorts your features by changing 
the light waves around your head. (This was also the part where I ran into another mom who let me 
know that the time to load the buses had been changed to a half-hour sooner than I was originally told.) 


Thankfully, our near-misses didn't make the day any less fun!

2 comments:

  1. Darn it! I thought I was finally going to find out why asparagus makes your pee smelly! Glad you made it on the bus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! I love going on field trips with the kids, even though I usually can't because I don't know about it in time to make arrangements for the other kiddos! I really enjoy it because someday I know that they aren't going to want me to come with them all the time!

    ReplyDelete