Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Monday, January 2, 2012

Polar + Express = Freezing Cold Family Fun

So Craig booked this awesome Polar Express trip without talking to me first because, in his words, I "would have said no." It's true. I would have. Which is why I am glad he did it. Lexa is old enough to have been slightly interested in what was going on, and Julia is young enough to still believe in Santa. So, it really was the perfect time to go. Also, Julia got out of school one day early for the adventure, so that was another bonus.

If you haven't figured it out by now, the whole idea of the train ride is to simulate the story, "The Polar Express." (Thankfully, the train ride does not simulate the off-putting movie of the same title, which I find incredibly, incredibly annoying.) Everyone boards the train in Williams, AZ (parents included--I guess this is where reality and fiction part ways) and we head for the North Pole. On the way, hot chocolate and cookies are served, Christmas carols are sung, and the book is read over the loud-speaker by none other than Liam Neeson. (Unfortunately it's just a recording of his voice, otherwise I'd be showing some very different pictures.) Then the train arrives at the North Pole, which the kids view through the train windows, and we head back to Williams. Santa boards the train at the North Pole, and makes his way through the cars giving all of the kids their very own jingle bells, which serve to delight the children and annoy their parents for the 45 minute ride back to the train station.

Nothing kicks off the holiday season like a magical family adventure!



Getting ready to board the train and freezin' in our boots.


Taking this whole Polar Express thing very seriously. 
Or, maybe their lips have frozen.


The Bean and I


Mr. Sneaky Pants and the younger girls


Cutie Head


Cutie Head x 2


The whole gang


Singing Christmas carols


(Cookies make us happy)


(and they make these guys cute)


Pouting


Snuggling


First glimpse of the North Pole


Santa was waving from the platform with a HUGE 
bag of presents and his head Elf, Bernard. 
(Wait, isn't that the guy from "The Santa Clause?"


Time to say goodbye and head back through the 
time-warp tunnel to Arizona, and civilization.


Chatting it up with Santa on the way back


While Lexa is not a fan of jolly old St. Nick, 
she did at least accept a jingle bell from him.


We visited this tiny village after we got off the train.
(This is the part where I was so cold I wanted to cry.
The girls, per usual, didn't seem to notice the temperature.)


Cute Daddy


Frozonsons


We wrapped up the day with an 8:00 buffet dinner. 
You guessed it...the soft-serve ice cream was the fave.

So, when will you book your trip??

1 comment: