Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And the Pendulum Swings...

I come from a family that had a pretty rigid breakfast schedule...hot cereal on Mondays, eggs on Tuesdays, cold cereal on Wednesdays, hot cereal again on Thursdays, eggs again on Friday, then cold cereal, pancakes, or french toast on Saturdays and Sundays.

For a cereal lover like me, the lack of cold cereal in this breakfast scenario is just not acceptable. So, as an adult, I have tried desperately to make up for the striking imbalance that I experienced growing up. I think so far I've done pretty well accomplishing my goal. Especially when cereal is on sale. I'm like a mad woman, filling my pantry shelves with all the yummy (gasp!) name-brand cereals I never got as a kid. (I think our new all-time high for boxes of cereal at one time is 38.) (But believe me: I do not hold the record among my siblings.)

My poor mom. I am sure that all she was trying to do was to teach us healthy eating habits. Unfortunately, all that she really accomplished was to raise 5 cereal-hoarding candy fiends that sometimes eat dinners with no green vegetables, and rarely eat whole grains.




And, undoubtedly, my own children will resent the fact that all we ever had to eat for breakfast was cereal, and that waffles, eggs, and french toast were reserved for Sunday night dinners on the fly.

5 comments:

  1. General Mills sale at Fry's? Check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that WALL-E is guarding your pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hoard cereal, too. I used to love when my grandma would come and let us buy Lucky Charms!

    I used to babysit a couple kids every day after school, and their mother always left out a snack on the table that they were required to eat before they went out to play. It was always a Hostess twinkie or ding dong or something along those lines and my word! how those kids complained. And then I got in trouble for letting them eat some fruit once. I could never wrap my mind around this coming from the rigid health food home that I did! I wonder how those kids eat now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach and I were just talking about this the other night. His mom had an entire pantry designated to snacks while he was growing up and now he never snacks. My family never had snacks on hand gorwing up and now I can snack on junk all day if it's available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is the most rigid breakfast schedule i've ever heard of... the pendulum had to swing at some point!

    ReplyDelete