We are back from our wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and the experience has made me think about just a few things. Last time we traveled with two children by airplane, one was still nursing and would fall asleep in public, and I wasn't 7 months pregnant. Take away nursing baby and add in a sizeable pregnant belly, and things change just a bit. Anyway, here are some things I've learned.
*Magazines for me to read on the plane: laughable. I should have used that space for snacks.
*Apparently a 3 1/2 hour flight does not warrant snacks provided by the airline. (Though, if you're lucky, you might get a whole soda.)
*If you are pregnant, it doesn't matter how many times you use the bathroom before boarding the aircraft. You will still have to pee at least twice on the airplane.
*It doesn't matter which kid you bring an extra change of clothes for; the other one will end up needing it.
*Bring as many coloring books as you see fit, but your two-year-old will probably be more interested in buckling/unbuckling her seat belt for the duration of the flight.
*Airline security: designed to embarrass and infuriate those traveling with small children.
*Barf bags: perfectly designed to hold 1 pair of pee-pee pants, size 5T...and none of the moisture leaks through.
*The "recline" position of an airplane seat: an unfunny joke, both for the person trying to recline, and for the person sitting behind the person trying to recline.
*Somehow the contents of your carry-on items will multiply exponentially during flight, making it impossible to fit everything back in the way it was.
*If you take long enough to get to baggage claim, all of your items will be stowed nicely in a pile waiting for you to come claim them...no waiting involved.
*In an airport, the words "no running" to a 2- and 4-year-old actually translate into "please run as fast as you can, and also make sure that you don't watch where you're going so that you come as close as possible to crashing into someone."
*Personal space: non-existent in flight.
Okay, I'm sure there's more, but this is all I can think of for now. Even after reviewing the list with its accompanying feelings of stress and panic, though, I still have to say that the opportunity for our kids have two Thanksgivings with 2 grandparents, 4 great-grandparents, 3 great-aunts, 5 great-uncles and 2 second cousins, was surprisingly worth the effort...we just won't do it again for a while.
I'm stressed out just reading this! I totally agree with you on the airline security thing. Why don't they just make a separate line for families - it would make everyone happier. Glad you're back. You were missed.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys are back! Frank was sooooo bored in Sac meeting!!!!
ReplyDeleteUggh! We just went through the same thing. I sware they just like to see how long it takes to get your kids shoes off and your stroller onto the roller thingy all while holding your kids. It's insane! Glad you're back!!
ReplyDeleteI always like it when people say, "oh, your kids were so good on the flight". I want to scream at them - "you don't have any idea what it took to make YOU think they were being good!" Sounds like it was a good trip.
ReplyDelete