Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Friday, September 18, 2009

Mommy, the Liar

My kids never believe anything I say, but I can't really blame them. By now, they know that "just a minute" actually means that they need to wait anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, that "I'm on my way" really means that I am planning on doing 4 things before I even head in their general direction, and that "we'll talk about it tomorrow" is just a way to deflect a conversation centering on a topic about which they have no choice anyway. So it goes.

That being said, I really shouldn't be surprised when they have no reaction to me telling them "It's time to go." In our household those words have absolutely no meaning. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, one of them will put on shoes and then continue playing as if I haven't just said, "Okay, seriously, I am getting in the car right now." Truth be told, deep down, they really know that while I have every intention to leave right at that moment, inevitably I will run back in the house a minimum of three times to grab sippy cups, turn up the air conditioning, or to get some other forgotten yet vitally important object like my cell phone or sunglasses. (And let's not forget the once-a-week mad dash to switch the laundry after I have buckled them into their car seats.) Basically they have learned that if the car is not running and the garage is not open, mommy is not going anywhere.

My poor kids--they are destined to live life with a well-intentioned liar for a mommy...

Then again, I guess it's the only way I can get back at them for telling me "that looks uhsgusting" every night at dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I am not the only mommy that lies out there... hey could we start a club or something???

    ReplyDelete
  2. what will we do when they actually know how to tell time?

    ReplyDelete