Today is the start of a four-day weekend. We are lucky enough to have plans to visit Laura in her quaint Flagstaff cabin from tonight until late Sunday morning. While I am thrilled with the prospect of getting out of the heat for a short while and even wearing pants, I am currently feeling overwhelmed with the necessary packing and prep, all the while trying desperately to keep a house {with four children in it} out of disaster mode, attempting to entertain and feed a certain busy {and hungry!} toddler, do laundry, help a 5-year-old and 10-year-old catch up on homework, answer the random questions of said 5-year-old {and dictate a shopping list to her}, grapple with the hundred things on my mind, referee disagreements, stress eat, veto inappropriate television shows, and run a couple of errands.
It's embarrassingly easy for me to get worked up and stressed out about these everyday occurrences, particularly when I wake up to the fact that the new-found freedom of having 3 out of 4 kids at school for a good chunk of the day happens to be in a four-day long pause mode.
So I am going to just take a deep breath, say a little prayer, and remind my tense shoulders, clenched fists, and frowny mouth to focus on what is actually important: all of the wonderful souls that surround me who are looking to me with their clear, bright eyes for all of the help and support and direction and understanding and love that it is my blessing to give.
It sure is a lot, but it's a GOOD lot, and just because something is incredibly hard, that doesn't mean that it can't also be wonderfully awesome.
I sure love these amazing souls and their beautiful, darling faces.
How did I not comment on this? What is wrong with me?? Holy beautiful faces. I can enjoy them even more, because they don't need anything from me.
ReplyDeleteP.S. When you get that whole feeling-grateful-and-not-stressed-out-about-what-you-have-been-given thing figured out, help a sister out, would ya?