Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Webs We Weave

Ever since I was a little girl sharing a room with my messy (at the time) older sister, Laura, I have thrived on cleanliness, organization, and a general sense of order. In fact, one of the reasons that I wanted my own room so bad was because I just knew that I would be able to keep it clean all. the. time. (In fact, that was usually the argument I would use to try and convince my mom that I deserved my own space. Since it never worked, though, it will remain a mystery whether or not I would have actually been able to make good on that statement.) 

As a child, I was equally confident that my home as an adult would be a place or cleanliness and order. I mean, I'd be a stay-at-home mom; of course my house would be clean if I were home all day to keep it that way! (Ironically, I was also convinced that I would have plenty of time and energy to consistently play with my children and that I would encourage them to play creatively by building forts, digging in the yard, etc. I shudder at the thought.) 

Fast forward a few years to my actual home in Reality Land and--although it doesn't thrill me--I have come to accept the fact that our bathroom counters will probably always be covered with toothpaste, our mirrors and windows with fingerprints, and that I will likely never walk across the kitchen floor without crumbs sticking relentlessly to the bottoms of my bare feet...even after I just swept.

It's a good thing, too, otherwise I might not be able to handle the even bigger messes and shenanigans that commonly prevail around here, like when the girls decide to use their karate belts, jump ropes, and random necklaces to make a spider web across the bottom of the staircase.






Oh, what a tangled web we weave when we decide we'd like things clean.

3 comments:

  1. "As a child, I was equally confident that my home as an adult would be a place or cleanliness and order. I mean, I'd be a stay-at-home mom; of course my house would be clean if I were home all day to keep it that way! (Ironically, I was also convinced that I would have plenty of time and energy to consistently play with my children and that I would encourage them to play creatively by building forts, digging in the yard, etc. I shudder at the thought.) "

    This totally reminds me a song I listened to growing up. Do you remember that Janeen Brady song, "When I grow up I want to be a Mother?" It's all about baking cookies, playing games and giving your children little yellow balloons. A sweet, out-dated, sentimental song that would never pass in this generation. It totally set us up for a rude awakening as we learned that motherhood was not all sunshine and unicorns.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "4 little, 5 little, 6 little babies in my home..." So much for cookies and milk and yellow balloons :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete