Monson Fonsons

Monson Fonsons

Thursday, October 28, 2010

What They Don't Teach You in School

I knew, before I became a parent, one of the major prerequisites for mommyhood: being able to find a bathroom, in a reasonable amount of time, in any public place ever visited with children. And I was fine with that.

I was, however, unfamiliar with its implied co-requisite: being willing to abandon comfort, convenience, and the occasional shopping cart filled with not-yet purchased goods in search of said bathroom. This co-requisite then often requires the supernatural dexterity and flexibility needed to hold an infant while wiping a bottom, pick up a three-year-old who can't yet reach the sink, and, with infant still in arms, wash said three-year-old's hands as well as one's own hands in a sink that only works while the handle is being pushed down, all the while trying to keep one's purse from touching anything bathroom-related (i.e. floor, walls, door, sink, etc.)

Man, I wish that class had been offered in junior college.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking junior high would be a great time to start offering it. then we can also squeeze some more real life - life into school.
    For some reason my family loves to lock the door. Yes I know when they lived in NYC the door had to be locked, all 3 locks, at all times. Not so much in UT. From working and schooling both full time I only live at home long enough to change each days "moving" all over town out with other "moving" items. There has never been a day that I walk out the door without and sweatshirt, books for 3 classes, lunch bad, makeup bag, and purse. Other days have more items. Many times I ring the bell to our house because there is no way i can unlock the door. If only I had a class on balancing things on my head in 8th or 9th grade, I'd be able to unlock the door.
    I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you didn't see that class in the class list?

    ReplyDelete